Have you ever wondered about what particular services you can get from a construction law firm? Well, such firm usually employs lawyers who specialize in settling construction-related issues. They can represent individuals and businesses at all levels of participation in construction projects including owners, developers, lenders, general contractors, etc.
Here are some of the services you can get from a construction law firm:
- Contract review, negotiation and real time assistant – a law firm that specializes in settling construction-related issues can help for the preparation and negotiation for a full range of construction contracts (e.g. owner-builder agreements, design-build agreements, subcontracts, home improvement contracts, and material purchase orders).
- Bid protests – a law firm that specializes in construction law can also help you when it comes to bid protests (or when a bid protest is necessary). Lawyers can represent clients at every level of project development, which includes prosecuting and defending bid protests.
- Dispute resolution – it can also help in settling dispute issues – from negotiating resolution prior to formal litigation to mediation, litigation and/or arbitration. Its lawyers can litigate at the State court and Federal court levels. They can also assist clients in finding solution to construction disputes without the necessity of initiating litigation or arbitration.
- Construction claims – it can also represent clients in settling construction claims such as bond claims, government code claims, stop notices, etc.
- Prevailing wages and labor disputes – a construction firm also employs a team of lawyers that could work closely with labor and employment section with respect to prevailing wage issues. You can be assisted when it comes to developing employee policy manuals and employment agreements.
- Business formation and licensing – and lastly, a construction law firm can also work for business formation and licensing. Lawyers are knowledgeable when it comes to the rules and procedures of the State Licensing Board, can give expert advice regarding compliance with licensing laws, making it sure that all of the legal issues are addressed before starting a business.
Finding a construction law firm
Finding a reputable law firm with expertise in construction law in your area can be puzzling but the following criteria can help you find one:
- Positive versus negative reviews
- Testimonials from previous and current clients
- List of cases won in the past
- The length of time in service (is the firm has been there for years? decade?)
- License to operate and the accreditation to offer legal services.